Wednesday, July 9, 2008

AIDS aren't just in Africa

As the AIDS Committee of Guelph looked back on it's 20 years of service to Guelph and Wellington County at the annual barbeque, I am reminded of the lack of education and knowledge many young (and old) people have about AIDS in Canada.

Growing up, I never knew very much about AIDS. I knew that it was widespread throughout Africa, but I never seemed to hear anything about Canada and other developed countries. It seems that the life expectancy has to drop to around 40, like it is in some areas of Africa, in order to get a lot of attention.

When I first started volunteering with the AIDS Committee, I didn't realize how much I would learn from the education workshops. I was astounded at the amount of people in Canada living with HIV but not knowing it. In 2006, the Public Health Agency of Canada estimated that of the 58,000 people infected with HIV in Canada, about a quarter of them were unaware of their HIV status. With free, anonymous testing sites widespread throughout Canada, I can only assume that lack of education about these sites and, of course fear, are standing in the way of Canadians getting tested.

The amount of people becoming infected in Canada is increasing every year. I can't help but question why we have not been thoroughly educated on such a deadly disease.

Canadians need to learn the facts about HIV, STI's and Hepatitis as it continues to affect more and more people. If schools aren't teaching about it, or aren't teaching enough about it, we need to take it upon ourselves to be informed. We need to look past the stigma and myths associated with HIV, protect ourselves, teach others and do something to help.

Useful tips, facts and other information on HIV/ AIDS in Canada is available all over the internet.
Learn more now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post, people need to be reminded!